Derrell Slaughter was raised in a working class family that made several sacrifices to help make him become the first in his family to graduate from college. After earning his bachelor's degree from Michigan State University, he chose to remain in Lansing and begin his commitment to community service.
Derrell's commitment to service stems from learning at an early age the importance of giving back. Currently, Derrell serves as Chairman of the Ingham County Board of Health, Coordinator for the Old Everett Neighborhood Association, 4th Chair of the Ingham County Democratic Party, and Vice Chair of the Lansing Area American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
He has served in leadership capacities in numerous organizations and committees, working to improve the lives of Lansing residents such as the Lansing National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Lansing Board of Water and Light’s Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) Citizen Advisory Committee, and the Turning Point of Lansing.
Derrell is committed to ensuring the future of Lansing is promising for the next generation by protecting our healthcare, promoting public safety, and investing in South Lansing.
He's running to be a strong voice for South Lansing on the Ingham County Board of Commissioners .
Vote for Derrell Slaughter for Ingham County Commission on Tuesday, August 7!
- Lansing NAACP- 2nd Vice President
- Turning Point of Lansing- Elder
- Lansing Board of Water and Light’s IRP Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC)- Member
- Ingham County Board of Health- Chairman
- Old Everett Neighborhood Association- Coordinator
- Ingham County Democratic Party- 4th Vice-Chair
- Lansing Area ACLU- Vice-Chair
- ACLU of Michigan- Board of Directors
- Gerald Beckwith Constitutional Liberties Fund- Board Member
- LaunchProgress- Executive Committee